A married relationship licence shows the individual doing your marriage (the wedding officiant) which you have actually met all of the requirements that are legal be hitched in Alberta.
Alberta wedding licences can be obtained from a registry agent workplace.
A registry representative dilemmas a document that is 2-part. The part that is top a Registration of Marriage additionally the bottom level could be the wedding licence.
The complete document (enrollment of Marriage/Marriage Licence) must certanly be fond of the marriage officiant that’ll be performing your wedding. This can be a appropriate document and must certanly be held in good shape and never folded since it is forever archived.
Conditions for a married relationship
Banns (postings or notices in a church) aren’t appropriate in the place of a wedding licence.
There aren’t any citizenship or residency needs.
There isn’t any right time frame that have to pass involving the date a couple comes in Alberta plus the date a married relationship licence is granted.
Bloodstream tests are not necessary.
A married relationship licence is valid for a couple of months through the date its released.
A marriage can take put the day that is same wedding licence is granted. There isn’t any waiting time.
An Alberta wedding licence is legitimate for the Alberta wedding. The marriage has to take spot in Alberta.
If you’re presently hitched, you cannot submit an application for an Alberta wedding licence.
Whenever having the wedding licence, you have to:
- Apply together during the registry representative workplace
- Some exceptions may use, talk with a registry representative for details
- Swear/affirm more than one affidavits
- It really is an offense to swear/affirm an affidavit that is false
- Provide your private information, and the entire names and birth places of one’s moms and dads (including a parent’s maiden name)
Whenever getting a wedding licence, you simply can’t:
- Be intoxicated by a medication or alcohol
- Be linked to one another as a grandparent, moms and dad, son or daughter, sibling or grandchild, by entire bloodstream, half bloodstream or use
- Either individual getting married is hearing, message or aesthetically weakened
- Either individual getting hitched can be an adult that is assisted a court ordered co-decision maker or represented adult with a guardianship purchase
You both must certanly be 18 years old or older.
You can apply for a marriage licence if all your parents and legal guardians consent to the marriage licence being issued, unless other conditions apply if you are younger than 18 years old. Seek the advice of a registry representative for complete details.
You cannot marry in Alberta if you are younger than 16 years old.
If one of this few would not have appropriate ID, that person might provide their delivery certificate or immigration document – each other must have appropriate ID
You simply cannot be currently hitched (either to one another or another person).
Your marital that is legal status be one of several after:
- Evidence of divorce proceedings is necessary; the divorce proceedings document supplied ought to be the last document (as an example, Certificate of Divorce, Decree Absolute).
- A divorce or separation document that claims a wedding is dissolved in X timeframe isn’t appropriate as it is impossible to understand in the event that documents that are final filed or even the divorce or separation was contested throughout that time.
- Divorce or separation documents which are not in English must certanly be translated; seek the advice of a registry representative for interpretation needs.
- A death certification associated with the dead partner is maybe not required.
- Never ever been hitched
- No marital status papers are essential.
Annulled wedding (through the court)
Whenever an annulment happens to be issued via a court, the individuals marital status reverts back into just exactly just what it had been before that annulled wedding took spot. The prior marital status may need to be proven. As an example:
- If the status that is marital the annulment is divorced, evidence of divorce or separation needs to be supplied as well as a content for the court ordered annulment
- As soon as the past status that is marital never ever been hitched, just the court ordered annulment document is necessary
Whenever a married relationship had been annulled, a duplicate associated with court ordered annulment needs to be provided. Spiritual and tribunal annulments are maybe maybe perhaps not accepted, just court ordered annulments.
Annulment documents which are not in English should be translated. Seek advice from a registry representative for interpretation demands.
When getting a wedding licence, each regarding the people that will be engaged and getting married should be proficient in English (since appropriate papers are increasingly being finalized), otherwise an interpreter is required. Whenever an interpreter is required, it’s your obligation to offer one.
The interpreter should be:
- 18 yrs. Old or older
- Proficient both in English therefore the language translation that is requiring
If the registry agent employee issuing the marriage licence is proficient within the other language, then that registry representative worker might end up being the interpreter and issue the wedding licence.
The couple obtaining a wedding licence cannot interpret/translate for every single other.
There is certainly a $40 federal government charge for the wedding licence.
Registry agents will charge an ongoing solution cost. Service charges vary among registry agents.
How exactly to use
Step One. Make sure you meet the criteria to try to get a married relationship licence
The wedding needs to be place that is taking Alberta over the following a few months.
Before using, make sure you along with your intended spouse are eligible.
Action 2. Gather your articles
Just take your ID that is acceptable with to obtain the wedding licence.
Other papers may be required, such as for example divorce proceedings papers. Contact a registry representative, they are able to verify just exactly what papers you shall require.
Step 3. Visit the registry representative workplace
Head to a registry agent along with your intended spouse, appropriate ID and papers, and apply for a wedding licence.
Once you apply
A married relationship licence is released although you wait.
If you don’t have most of the information and papers needed, the procedure is supposed to be delayed.
Bring your marriage licence to your ceremony and provide it to your wedding officiant.
Review the Registration of Marriage/Marriage Licence document really closely for errors whenever it is got by you and just before leave the registry agent workplace. Also have mistakes corrected instantly.
Prior to the ceremony happens, errors could be corrected by a registry representative.
Following the ceremony happens, mistakes must certanly be corrected by the amendment.
The wedding officiant cannot correct any given information that has been supplied if the wedding licence ended up being given.
Connect to Alberta Vital Statistics:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, shut statutory holiday breaks) mobile: 780-427-7013 (Edmonton and area) Toll free: 310-0000 prior to the telephone number (in Alberta) Fax: 780-422-4225
When it comes to deaf or hard-of-hearing: TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton and area) Toll TTY that is free 1st international marriage agency 1-800-232-7215 (in Alberta)
Mail: Essential Statistics P.O. Box 2023 Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4W7
Courier: Essential Statistics Document Reception John E. Brownlee Building 10365 97 Street Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5C5